Arrow Tattoo Meaning
The arrow is a piercing, masculine principle; penetration, phallic, lightning, rain, fecundity, virility, power and war. A flight of arrows symbolizes ascent to the celestial, Arrows loosed from a bow represent the consequences of acions whichcannot be recalled or revoked. The arrow, as with the lance and sword, is a solar symbol depicting the sun’s rays, also the attribute of the warrior. An arrow piercing a serpent is the sun’s rays piercing the dark clouds of the humid principle. The broad arrow (the fleur-de-lis) denotes royal property.
- Ameridian. The suns’s rays.
- Christian. Martyrdom, suffering, the nails of the cross, emblem of SS Christina, Edmund, Giles, Sebastian, Ursula.
- Egyptian. Two crossed arrows on a shield are an emblem of Neith as warrior Goddess.
- Greek. Apollo’s arrows are the sun’s rays, wich can be beneficent and fertilizing or schorcing and harmful. The arrows of Eros are piercing darts of love. A heart pierced by an arrow is union. Arrows are an attribute of Diana as light. Homer uses arrows as symbols of pain and desease, shot at mankind by the Gods, especially Apollo.
- Hindu. Attribute of Rundra, God of Earth, lightning ans storm.s, killing man and animals, causing pain and trouble, but also bringing fertility and healing rain. Attribute of Indra as sky God; his arrows are both the sun’s rays and lightning.
- Mithraic. Emblem of Mithras as God of light.
- Shamanistic. The feathered arrow represents the bird-flight to heaven; transcending the earthly state.
“I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.” -Skyrim City Guards.
Symbolism: FERTILITY – POWER